Thursday, June 19, 2008

Disturbing Show....

I have always wondered how I wasn't a Vegetarian. As much as I LOVE animals of all species I've always had very little problem eating a nice juicy steak or a good pork BBQ sandwich. I think I've managed so long because I never really thought about what I was eating at that moment.

Well, this past Tuesday Caleb had a ballgame and we went to eat dinner afterwards then we stopped by my gma Millie's to visit for a bit. To make a long story short, we got home a little late. By the time I got to bed it was about 10:15 and I wanted to watch some t.v. as I always do to help me fall asleep. I know, its a bad habit. Anyway, I flipped it to channel 60 which is FX in our area (cable). The show that I found was called 30 Days. I've heard of it before but had never seen it. This time it was about the abuse of animals. All animals, pets and farm raised. I have never been so disgusted by something in my life. The way these farm animals are handled and treated from birth on is horrendous!! These poor babies are stuck in a 4 X 6 crate standing side by side what looked like for miles. These "farm hands" were needing to move the babies to a different location and would open the back of the crate and just pull the poor, scared, and defenseless babies out of them by the tail, leg, whatever they could get there hands on first and herd them onto a trailer for transport. TRULY PITIFUL!!!
I also watched how they would take the sick and sluggish babies and just throw them on the side of the road or in a field somewhere to let them lay there alone and DIE!!

I know I'm a "city girl" and I know nothing about farming but just from watching this show Tuesday I haven't been able to touch any kind of meat since then. It simply makes my stomach turn thinking about it! I'm sure not all farmers treat there livestock like this and I realize what I was watching came from the state of TX and they were all verrryyy large cattle plants/farms but I still don't understand there concept of "farming". I can only pray for the animals that must suffer so inhumanely.

No comments: