Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Bed Rest Scare

Today was just supposed to be another routine visit. At this point I'm seeing the doctor every two weeks till week 34. We are currently at wk 32 and I thought so far so good. Doctor had other thoughts on his mind.

We had our regular visit; hi - how are ya - how's everything going - let's listen to her heartbeat. As soon as I mentioned that my contractions seem to happen sporadically but sometime so hard their quite painful and asked if the baby can bruise you from the inside out he quickly listened to her heartbeat and ordered a sonogram. They always seem to rush you in and out of every appt since there are so many others after you I really didn't have time to ask if everything was ok or if I should be concerned.

So after waiting over an hour for the sono they called me back. Denise did my sono today and it wasn't like normal. Ya know, lets get some pix of the baby and check out her size. First, it was questions in regard to how I've been feeling and if I knew why doctor ordered the sono today. Well of course my red flag when up and my heartbeat became more rapid. I was nervous and alone. Matt was working and couldn't break free last minute and my mom had to run her kindergarten route. I was alone and very uncertain on the news I was about to get.

They did all the measurements on Blueberry and the placenta. They did the measurements of blood flow and amniotic fluid. They checked her heart rate, which was 139 bpm. Denise said this was fine and she was probably sleeping which is why it was a little lower today. Everything seemed to be normal, then I relaxed a bit but I still had my guard up. So after fighting w/ Blueberry to give us a good facial shot, which we had no luck at, she gave me the news that they had to check me vaginally to see if my cervix was shortening up any, which is a result in having strong, consistent contractions like I have been lately. I asked her what it meant if it had, Denise informed me that doc would typically put me on bed rest for a few weeks. Panic struck at that moment!!! I wouldn't be a very good bed rest candidate at all!!

Denise was very prompt about the results of her measurements and everything was normal. What a relief! I am now to limit myself and what I do. I'm not on bed rest but I need to act like I'm pregnant and not like I'm running a marathon anymore. Be aware of my body. Pamper myself, and the most difficult part of all for me; Ask for help! UGH!!!

I immediately called my hubby and told him the good news that Blueberry was healthy and NO bed rest for me and he immediately laid the law down on my do's and don'ts. I love getting lectured at my age.

So anyway, that's my story of the Bed Rest Scare. Hopefully that will be the last time those words are ever spoken again throughout our pregnancy.

1 comment:

Christina said...

Glad everything turned out to be alright! :-)