Friday, July 11, 2008

Walking for the cause


If there were ever a reason to walk, tonight was the night! Tonight I was honored to walk w/ some friends of mine in the Relay for Life. This is my first time ever being present at this type of event, but until this year I never realized how many people in our community suffer from Cancer.

Many years ago (when I was 6) I lost a great-grandfather to this disease. I still remember that day like it was yesterday. I didn't even know that grandpa was sick. This man spoiled me rotten every chance he got. He was my walking partner. Whether we headed to the park, the little downtown diner, HUCK'S, or to Spurgen's to buy me a new dolly we were always on foot. I still remember all the little things about him, but most of all, his love for me. Then on one beautiful summer day my mom and dad took me to the St. Louis Zoo. I remember having soo much fun ooohing and ahhhhing over cute little/big animals. We finally called it a day and headed home to find the most disturbing news, at that time in my life. My dearest great-grandfather Nick had died. He past away in the comfort of his room after getting up for a glass of water and telling everyone "Goodnight". I lost my best friend that day to a disease I didn't understand.

Now, the older I get the more people I know are being diagnosed w/ this horrifying disease. Unfortunately, w/in the last 2 years Cancer once again has raised it's ugly face to friends close to my heart. Everyday, we pray for the miracle cure and yes the scientist are closer to a cure for some cancers but yet so far away for most.

Tonight, I went up and showed my support to finding a cure for this disease. I walked w/ my friends Mark and Steve for only two miles due to Mother Natures incooperation. There was music from 97.9 WXEF radio station and silent auctions and for the weather circumstance, there were quit a few people there walking in the rain to help support the cause.

So here is a Shout Out to all participants!!! And please, all who read this, keep in mind the victims of this terrible disease and keep them in your thoughts and prayers.

My special Prayers tonight go out to those who have lost there battle:
My Great-Grandfather Nick
The family of Mrs. Margie Osteen
The Family of Mr. & Mrs. Mert McMahan
The Family of Lisa Addis

To those who are still fighting:
Mrs. Janet Knabe

No comments: